Monday, April 18, 2016

Social Media Rights?

I use social media about as much or more than the typical 19 year old. I'm attached to my instagram, twitter, and facebook. I try and keep my accounts on either private or atleast monitor my accounts enough that an employer could see it and still want to hire me. I like to use the phrase don't post anything online that you wouldn't want your grandmother to see, that seems like a pretty solid rule to follow. I remember in high school I would question some of the things my peers would post online. It would either be nasty things about a fellow student peer or about a faculty member, and I remember thinking how bad that would be if the school ever saw those posts. Schools today are riding the fine line between whether they should be monitoring their student's accounts and if they are not monitoring them then what happens when school issues and online social media issues intermix? I'm not really sure what the right answer is. Being online should be free speech and expression and people should be able to voice their minds and opinions but at the same time there is nothing good that comes out of the things they say. This is specifically targeted at adolescents who have access to this technology and may not be making the right decisions on what to post. This is a good lesson, if you have seen or taken any online safety courses they always say be careful who you talk to and what you post. We do this because we wouldn't want future employers or say schools to see what we are posting. Author Lori Andrews is one advocate for creating an online social network constitution saying that future employers cannot hire based upon online presence, even countries like Germany are already highly considering this law. This law would seem quite controversial. The internet and social media are already so involved in our lives, and in the future it will be even more. I'm not sure that a law like that would work. Part of keeping things we post online PG is because we know employers will be looking so if we take away that power, will people be even worse online or will they simply not care? It is hard to tell. I personally don't think that it is that bad that people have to watch what they post online. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future and what individual countries will decide to implement or not!

I'd love know what you think about the issue! Should these laws be implemented?? Comment down below!

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I believe that people should just be careful about what sorts of things they are posting. I believe that a person's online reputation is no different than their real world reputation (if they are not anonymous on the Internet). Free speech is a big deal online and offline, people should have a right to free speech but should also be keeping their reputations in mind.

    ReplyDelete