Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Cyberbullying: Do Something!


How aware are you of violence and bullying online? I would say for myself I am not that very aware. Yes, sometimes I see "twitter fights" or " Facebook drama" or even " Shade thrown on Instagram", but other than that I don't really follow people who are involved in actual cyberbullying, at least that I can see. Cyberbullying is extremely prevalent and is happening more and more in this digital age. With more and more cases of cyberbullying we need to stop being bystanders and start taking action. According to Carrie Rentschler author of Online abuse: we need Good Smaritans on the web, " Responsibility for violence online and off must be placed where it belongs: on the perpetrators, rather than the victims, survivors and community members targeted by it. But bystanders should also be held accountable." 
I would totally agree with that, bystanders should take action and reach out to those victims. It is also important to take action in the right way. Maybe that means talking to the victim and helping them through their situation, maybe that means talking to a school counselor, or even talking to the predator in some situation. The last thing you want to do as a bystander is create an even bigger fire and adding more fuel (drama) to what already is the situation. 
Remember next time you go on social media, be aware of what is happening, and if you have the ability to help, consider it! The golden rule is treat others the way you would want to be treated and I'm sure if you were going through a form of cyberbullying you would want someone to help and support you too! 

Let me know what you think! Should bystanders take action? Let me know in the comments below! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment